26 February 2008

Probiotics in Yogurt

The Newsweek article posted talks about all of the wonders and benefits of probiotics and reminded me of a news story I had heard. I guess Dannon (yogurt company) is one of those companies that has been using probiotics and marketing the effects of them, especially in digestion. Anyways, there's been a recent lawsuit placed against them, claiming that Dannon has mislead consumers and claiming that the benefits of the probiotics are just claims with no scientific support. I don't know what's worse: Dannon making claims and charging the consumer extra money for it or people being sue-happy. Here's some info on the suit.

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20080125/yogurt-maker-sued-over-health-claims

http://www.importantlawsuits.com/lawsuits/dannon-activia-lawsuit/

1 comment:

VanD495 said...

I read up on the scientific evidence that the minor companies of Dannon published, and I don't know if that's enough for me to believe the powerful effects of their yogurt. I checked out the date of the publication, and it was 2007--recent to the occurrence of the lawsuit. It's interesting that companies only defend their products when legal action takes place. Dannon's claims that their yogurt is clinically-effective may be true, but I still believe in a strong balance of life, diet, and exercise will keep an individual healthy.