01 April 2008

Sea Bathing???

I was researching cures/relief mechanisms for arthritis and something really caught my eye. Sea bathing. I really don’t know if it’s fact or fiction. I’ve searched high and low and all I’ve gotten are mixed theories and beliefs. Many articles state that sea bathing is a beneficial treatment for arthritis. The main constituent in the sea water valuable for pain relief of arthritis is iodine. Accordingly, iodine is known for its regulatory effects on the acid-alkaline balance in the blood and tissues. It is absorbed through the pores of the skin and enters into the thyroid gland’s secretion. It’s purpose is to restore worn out tissues and correct internal imbalances. If someone wants to check up on this subject please do and let me know what you find.

P.S. They say that if you’re not next to a body of sea water the next best thing is 30 minutes every night in a tub of warm water with a cup of sea salt. Hopefully, this home remedy really does do the trick for arthritis relief.

3 comments:

AshleyF495 said...

Usually when there is an inflammation, like a sprained ankle or such, doctors recommend that the ankle be soaked in epsom salt to reduce the swelling. I am not sure of the mechanism, something to do with the magnesium, but the principle could be the same for arthritis.

VanD495 said...

It's interesting to see that home remedies can help those with arthritis. I searched for natural cures on the internet and came up with a list that used these products:


-apple cider vinegar and baking soda
-raisins soaked in gin
-copper
and epsom salt as Ashley had mentioned.

I'm surprised that no one brought up the topic of copper as a method of reducing joint inflammation. It is known that copper possesses anti-inflammatory activity, and when an individual wears a copper bracelet, the copper is believed to be absorbed into the skin where it carries out its function on the joints. One of the players that reduce pain and inflammation is superoxide dismutase, which is copper-dependent.

Sources: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/arthritis.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superoxide_dismutase

BrookeJ said...

I've actually used epsom salt for a sprained ankle, but I would have never thought it would work for arthritis.

That's really interesting about the copper effects on joint inflammation. I'll have to tell my grandma that since she wears a lot of copper jewelry.