12 September 2007

I noticed in Obesity and the Flu (Obioha, MD) that four out of five respiratory complications of influenza are those of imflammation! I did not realize inflammation was such a prominent effect of other illnesses or infections, but now that I know more about what inflammation actually involves and includes, I can see that almost any kind of infection or disease can have an inflammatory response, which in turn causes more compliactions. However, in this same article, I found some completely irrelevant statements, which I was not expecting since the article is so short and attempting to be informative. In the paragraph titled "Obesity and the Overweight Connection," it states that we as American encounter excess weight issues in our "daily lives - physically, emotionally, mentally, and even financially;" and that "those with serious weight issues are at much greater risk for developing life-threatening illnesses." This is confusing to me - what exactly are we talking about now? The article somewhat explains that cortisol is one connection between obesity, inflammatory rseponse, and how it leads to other compliactions, however it does not elaborate on how the emotional, mental, and financial excess weight can contribute to illness, and therefore these things should have never been mentioned.
After reading articles relating to obesity and inflammation, my opinion concerning obese humans is strengthened. Adipose tissue, especially in excessive amounts, is extremely deterimental to one's health, and not just because it's fat. My concern is for our nation: why is it that we push "get skinny quick" products rather than inform society that being overweight is actually extremely unhealthy?? Let's start a "get healthy, not skinny" campaign and inform America of the physiological reality of being obese, not the superficial fantasy of being "skinny."

2 comments:

stephenb7630 said...

Since noone else commented I will say bravo to the pushing skinniness comment. If you believe the advertisers we should all be skinny and being skinny will make you happy. People have different responses to getting older and less skinny. They either go to the gym and starve themselves to get skinny again or they give up and gain more weight because they are "fat" anyway. I am currently trying to convince my future wife that it is okay to have a little fat on your body. I am not skinny and I am not fat and I really don't care what advertisers have to say. Good post.

JennyP7630 said...

Katie, there is currently a lot of research that is linking obesity to predisposition of cancer. What's more interesting is that I've recently attended a seminar which suggests that it is a HIGH FAT diet and not obesity itself that predisposes to cancer. These studies were done in rats and so there's room for arguement there. In addition, I think it's possible that the break down of fat may cause excess reactive oxygen species or build up of leukotrienes that may imitate inflammatory response (strict speculation, please don't quote me on that). Either way, interesting article... and time to get healthy! :)