05 March 2008

Smoking and sugar intake are seperate but interactive risk factors in Crohn's Disease

Hi Everybody. I was intrigued and a little disturbed by this article, which talked about the association between sugar consumption, smoking and Crohn's Disease. They used added sugar as an estimate because it is highly correlated with overall refined sugar intake, typically making up about half of it. Furthermore, smokers take in about one-third more sugar than non-smokers. Both smoking and sugar intake are environmental factors associated with CD. On a more personal note, when I was younger I experimented with smoking and NOW I know that I am one of those people who loves the most "sugared down" coffee you can imagine. Also, IBS is in my family on both sides. Is this enough for me to lower my sugar intake?? Probably not, at least when it comes to coffee, but it is making me think twice. So next time you are making coffee or tea, think about this. =) Have a great week!

1 comment:

VanD495 said...

I read "Cigarette Smoking and Food Consumption in the United States" and the authors conducted experiments with smoking and food consumption in humans and mice.

For both groups: cigarette smoking was accompanied by decreased sugar (sweet food) consumption. However, cessation of smoking resulted in increased sugar consumption.

Nicotine/smoking encourages the body to secrete its own sugars and fats. Smokers commonly eat less because the hypothalamus feels that the body is "full." However, once smoking stops, the body feels like there is a low level of blood sugar, and to compensate, that's one of the reasons why people eat more sugary foods after they stops smoking.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1984.tb02239.x?cookieSet=1